Thursday, May 16, 2013

Early Start Program

You may or (probably) may not have noticed that there has been a little time change on the countdown clock! Let's find out why!!!

So, I wake up today thinking la la la it's a Thursday going to go do typical Thursday things. And I check my email and I see this email from my program coordinator:

Hi Kacy,

I hope you're doing well and getting excited for your Semester in Aix en Provence program this fall!

Want to arrive a week early and get some language practice in before you start your semester? IAU College is offering a discount to all CISabroad students for their Early Start program, which arrives on August 31st. Here is some more info:

During this time you can expect to earn one course credit, jump start the French immersion process, gain confidence in your language skills abroad, attend lectures, participate in a hands-on environment with small classes and personal attention, learn important intercultural differences and meet French and foreign students through IAU! The IAU Early Start program begins on August 31st, whereas the regular arrival date is September 7th.


Seminar
Monday-Saturday 9:30am-1:30pm

The seminar focuses on four linguistic skill areas: oral, listening/comprehension, phonetics and grammar.

Evenings
Cultural events with French students including bowling, Pictionary night, quiz night, pool night, etc.

This course is not intended to provide in-depth coverage of complicated grammar and vocabulary; it is designed to simply cover all the basics that you need in order to express yourself, be understood and understand French people using the correct grammatical structures.

This class is intended to be fun, interactive and stimulating to ensure the maximum possible gain in terms of language acquisition.

The professor uses T.V., audio and internet-related equipment to support books and theoretical explanations.

And I think to myself:

A. HECK YES!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!!!!!

B. Why did this program not say anything about this BEFORE they tell you to get a flight...

So I forward the email to my parentals to see what they have to say about it. But the more i look into it the more I think man... I really want to do that... Like a lot... That seems awesome. But I'm worrying about the added cost and if I can change my plane ticket without it costing a ton of money. But... Then I look at the schedule for what we would be doing...

Monday

Morning: French language and culture class
Afternoon: Students visit l’Université de Provence guided by French students
Evening: Gathering at Wohoo Bar

Tuesday

Morning: French language and culture class; open air market visits
Afternoon: Cooking class at "The Dolls in the Kitchen"
Wednesday
Morning: French language and culture class; open air market visits
Afternoon: Hike around Mont Sainte Victoire with French students
Thursday
Morning: French language and culture class
Afternoon: Visit of Château la Coste vineyard and Art Culture center (guided tour and wine tasting)

Friday

Morning: French language and culture class
Lunch: Picnic at Pavillon Vendôme
Evening: Karaoke at Wohoo Bar

Saturday

Morning: French language and culture class
Afternoon: Scavenger hunt through Aix with French students

Sunday

(Optional) Excursion to the seaside villages of Cassis and La Ciotat (includes swimming, hiking, exploring and picnic on the beach)

And I think to myself... Yeah I really wanna do that... And as it so happens I CAN!!!!!!!! (Thanks to a little outside money resources that I wasn't expecting but was thrilled to have ;-) ) And I am so excited!!!!!! It is going to be awesome to get there earlier and know my way around town a little better before classes start. And I'll be able to know some people sooner and get myself all acquainted with my family earlier and it is just going to be awesome!!!! So I am really excited about that!!!

So a typical Thusday morning just turned into a way to expand how awesome my trip is going to be! :-)

So now I will be leaving a week earlier on August 30th to get there on August 31st!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you to have this adventure!! Its so cool that you get to go a week early and just explore!!

    ReplyDelete