Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Guest Blogger: Cassidy Jones

Salut! Cassidy here! It would appear that I am going to be the one and only guest blogger at Kacy’s request. She asked me to tell you guys a little about my day here in Aix. I woke up around 10 this morning (I’ve been sleeping very heavily) and after coercing myself out of bed, we had leftover apple tarte (from dessert last night) for breakfast. I also had yogurt, a mandarin, and orange juice.

Let me tell you, I’m not starving in France. I am eating very, very well. I’m always full which is nice but makes me uncomfortable since I am used to eating 5 small meals a day because of a busy schedule. But since this is vacation (for me) and I am a guest, I can justify stuffing myself. 
After that, Kacy and I parted ways for the afternoon. She headed to school and I headed out to find the Musee Garnet for a few hours of alone time. I pride myself on being very good with maps so finding the Museum wasn’t a problem; I just couldn’t find the entrance of it! But I arrived at the entrance just before it opened at noon. There was only one other woman waiting for the museum to open so I was very excited to spend some quality time with the loudest inanimate objects there are.  That’s always what I’ve enjoyed about museums. They’re quiet because whatever it is you’re looking at whether its sculpture, paintings, installations, or archeological findings, they say all that needs to be said so it’s more than acceptable to simply be alone with your thoughts. 
In the permanent collections, I fell in love with the sculpture gallery. It was full of towering marble figures, particularly Mirabeau and Bartholemy. The way the room went on forever and ever and the way the sun came in through the windows reminded me of the scene in Pride and Prejudice where Elizabeth Bennett is at Pemberly looking through all the statues. I almost wished I’d brought my iPod so I could have listened to that soundtrack but that would have been a bit weird. 
After going through the rest of the permanent collections, I decided to walk the few blocks to where the newest exhibition could be found. The exhibition is the collection of Jean Planque. I wasn’t really sure what that meant and if I wanted to see it but I figured since I’d been admitted to the museum for free, I might as well take advantage of the entertainment. 

I’m glad I did! This collection is housed in a beautiful cathedral that was renovated into an art gallery. I walked in an instantly knew this entire building would be a close second as far as my favorite part of the museum as a whole (the sculpture gallery was my first). I immediately saw two Monet’s and an entire hall dedicated to Picasso. I found the work Kosta Alex, a modern sculpture, on the third floor (think balcony but for art) overhang. Jean Planque’s collection really had a wide variety of art and the exhibition made it apparent that he supported these artists as a kind and helpful friend but he always struggled because despite his artistic talent, he could never create his own style that he’d be remembered for. Perhaps though that is what is beautiful about the collection. His passion for helping these artists out made a difference and I think that’s all the difference. 
After leaving the cathedral, I was starving. I spent 2.5 hours in such a small museum! But I quickly found a small sandwich shop and had a chevre, ham, and sundried tomato Panini before heading to the post office to buy stamps and send post cards. After that, I headed toward Coco Boheme, a little tea house about 500 yards from where Kacy lives. On the road there, I stopped in a few boutiques to look at their clothing but didn’t find anything I couldn’t live without so I kept going. 

Upon arriving at Coco Boheme, I took my shoes off and went downstairs to grab a table and a menu. Yesterday when I went, I went down the wrong stairs and wore shoes and couldn’t remember any French for the life of me. But today my confidence was renewed so I ordered AND asked for the wifi password AND understood everything she said to me. I like to know the rules. That’s always my biggest problem in new places, knowing the rules. I can blend in well aside from the little things like taking off your shoes and using the right stairwell. 
After getting my tea, I opened up my book while waiting for Kacy to be done with class but she arrived almost immediately! She also ordered a pot of tea but we soon realized it was unnecessary because there’s literally enough tea for 2298472 people in those pots. We drank as many cups as possible before rushing out around 5 to drop some things off at Madame’s before heading to a small bar, Wohoo, near her school for happy hour with some of her friends!

            The bar was indeed small but cool, most places here have “basement caves” and so did this bar but I guess they didn’t really know that until I suggested it because I saw some stairs and it was super small upstairs. So we waited for her friends and they seemed late but Kacy went upstairs and found them so that was nice. We ordered drinks upstairs, I ordered a black pearl which has coca cola… and something else that I do not remember and Kacy ordered “Sex in Aix” which is funny because it rhythms and its where we are so yeah. The happy hour deal is that if you buy one drink, you get that drink free! So we swapped for our second drinks. Kacy and I agreed that the Black Pearl was better. We continued to chat with her friends Johnny, LaSia, and Sally. They all seemed like good friends to have and were all chatty and great to talk to a bit so that was nice. I know it can be kind of tough to have one friend group meet another friend group so I’d say it went very nicely. After finishing our drinks, we talked for a bit and around 7 we parted ways.

Kacy and I came straight home. Madame ordered pizza as Kacy studied and Paul told me how tired he was because he played basketball today. For dinner, we had some of the freshest pizza I have ever come to enjoy. It was very nice. It had arugula, pineapple, and ham on it! I like the arugula garnish a lot! Madame also brought out a special dessert, tarte tropezzienne, which is kind of like a hard bread with vanilla custard in between it! It was really cool and very sweet. She’s a great woman; she knows how to make people feel special and is very thoughtful! After dinner, we watched Pretty Woman as I have never actually seen it which they just couldn’t believe! Considering it was in rapid French, I didn’t catch a whole lot but I kind of get it. I’m pretty tired and now that Kacy’s falled asleep, I probably should too…
 Tomorrow, we are going to the Spa that’s built on top of the ancient Roman Ruins! We’re really excited despite not really knowing what we are doing! Then tomorrow night there will be a potluck for Kacy’s school! We head to Paris on Thursday night! We have plans to see Versailles and the Louvre! Perhaps the Musee D’Orsay! It should be a great weekend! I’m loving my stay and couldn’t be more lucky to share it with Kacy and her kind host mom!
Hopefully you enjoyed this little tid bit and I didn’t bore your eyes out!

Kacy Again: You didnt miss much in my day besides my professor bringing us bilinis for finishing our russian book. They ae like russian pancakes. I didn't really like them. Also I tried licorice absenthe. It was disgusting so I pawned it off on someone else. And then my professor told us about the time his neighbor was crazy and shot him in the butt. So then he beat the crap out of him with a stick. It apparently was a pretty bad day for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment