Monday, September 23, 2013

Chez Doctor

My alarm went off at 7:30 so that I could have time to get ready and Skype Thad this morning but I was so tired I told it to “tais-toi” and went back to sleep for another half hour, (sorry!). I really didn’t feel too great this morning and wasn’t very hungry. I am wondering if now that my body is adjusting to the time here if it is starting to not like Breakfast again. I took my usual little bread with me and a banana and then went to class.
Our class was really interesting because we talked about the legend of the forming of Marseille, then called Massilia. Marseille was formed by the Greeks. The legend is that the two Greeks came to the king of the region of Provence and were invited to attend the marriage ceremony of his daughter. The way it worked was that she was to give a cup of wine to the man at the ceremony whom she wanted to marry. She chose one of the Greek chiefs and then the King gave them the land to build Marseille. The funny thing is that because of this all the other suitors at the marriage were mad because they weren’t chosen so then they attacked Marseille continuously (les gauloise). The Greeks won out though and put military bases in the countries of the people they beat which lead to the formation of the town of Nice = which in Greek is Nike = which means victory! (Shoe name history) After this the Greeks started the “first” supposed towns that had walls and military protection. They also moved from being fisherman and pirates to being farmers of grapes for wine and olives, leading to why olive oil, olives, and wine are so popular here!

Did you catch the problem with this legend? How can the princess of the region give wine to her chosen husband at the wedding if wine isn’t in this region yet? Also why would the king just let these random strangers in to his daughter’s wedding? It is believed either that it was water in some legends or that this wasn’t the first interaction between the Greeks and the Gauls but that trading and such had happened before and in order to strengthen relations they wanted to create a trading post in Provence. Doesn’t that make more sense? Yes, but the legend was a fun read. Next class we are going on a trip to the Oppidum d’Entre-Mont which is just north of Aix. I think it will be kind of cool!

After class I said I want to go to the doctor so I went around the schools trying to find the housing lady so she could make me an appointment. They ended up not having space but they told me to come down and they would squeeze me in. I was given directions and then sent off. I found the building all right but I couldn’t figure out the buzzer to have the door unlock… But luckily someone was leaving like two minutes later and I got in because of them. The receptionist spoke French only so that was a bit difficult. But we figured it out and then I sat down to wait. There were about 3 people in front of me but I didn’t have class again until five so I really wasn’t in a hurry. Plus I had my game of thrones book (the odd couple just got married for all you knowers of the book. I am still Pre-Red wedding! No spoilers!) So I was happy to wait and not be doing homework. ;-)

About an hour and fifteen later I went in to see the doctor who I thought was going to speak English but actually did not… But it sort of worked? He didn’t seem too happy that I didn’t always understand him. I mean I know I made his job harder but… whatever. He looked in my ear and fiddled around in it saying stuff but my medical term French vocabulary is slim to well let’s be honest, I know none. Also I don’t know any ear terms besides ear. But I think he said that it is because I am congested because he wanted to check my lungs and stuff as well and was surprised that I wasn’t feeling bad about anything else. So maybe I have an infection or something? He gave me a prescription for ear drops and some pills and told me how often to take the, charged me 23 Euros and then sent me on my way. So I don’t actually know exactly what is wrong but I have the tools to fix it! Also I got the forms to get my money back from the appointment but I don’t know how to do it so I will have to go talk to the housing lady again.

After that I made my way two doors down to the pharmacie (there’s one on every block). I looked and asked about a heating pad but they didn’t have any and didn’t know where I would find one. I think it must not be a thing? Maybe I can like Google shop for one and then buy it and have it sent here from Europe so that it has the right plug. But I got the drugs and then ventured back towards the school buying a sandwich on the way. A couple tried asking me for help with directions in French and then I could tell they were struggling so I asked if they spoke English and they looked like I had like just saved their lives or something. So I think that they were very lost. Also yesterday some French girl running down the street on her phone asked me for directions to the Rotonde in French so I gave her directions in French. Go me! I don’t know if it was she thought I was French or what but she specifically asked me even though she was clearly French and there were other French people around. Kind of cool I guess? I must look like I know what’s up.

I had forgotten about the banana and it had gotten all gross in my bag so after cleaning that up (which it wasn’t so bad to begin with) I hung out in the cave a bit talking to Patrick and Will and Cassandra for a bit. Then I went upstairs to try and buy my train to Paris but learned that it wouldn’t take my card, maybe because it was a debit card or a MasterCard or what but it didn’t like it. So I decided it could wait another day. I did reserve the hotel for Paris which was very cheap, 3 nights for 140 and split two ways is 70 Euros. Not a bad break I don’t think! It is like 3 Euros more to train there in first class so I decided to do that as well. But I don’t have my tickets yet obviously but the train should be about 91 Euros for both ways together. Not super cheap but eh, I will double check that I can’t find a flight for cheaper tomorrow. But I mean I get to go to Paris so… Totally worth it, and I can’t come to France and not go to Paris, let’s be real. After that I attempted once again to try and find cheap hotel in Lyon that isn’t too far from the metro or some sort of way to get to the city part of Lyon. Here’s a hint it is a nightmare because I have to find a room for beds for three and everything is totally booked because the light festival is so awesome that everyone goes.
After getting frustrated I gave up and went and bought myself a strawberry tarte for good measure and then read for the rest of the time before my last class. It was very easy today, we talked about the five senses and different verbs that give different subtleties of meaning for the same like thing and talked about when you use each one. We probably talked about over 50 – 100 words though. So I hope we don’t need to remember them all. My professor is really nice though so it was fun. After that I walked home.

On my way home I was thinking about how frustrated I have been all day and how I don’t know if it was because I was trying to plan something or if I’m just hitting the wall already. I know in the study abroad timeline I am getting close to that time but it just sucks. I know that I am having a great time here no questions but I am getting really sick of being judged for being an American. People assume that I can’t articulate simple things. And alternatively, I am getting frustrated when I speak French with nice French people and I can’t find the word I am looking for or can’t articulate myself in the way I would prefer. I also am getting frustrated with things not working like my internet and the train tickets. I am shaking them off fine and not getting to get bogged down but it is just very frustrating all the time to not have things work properly/to my gluttonous American standards.

The good thing about this feeling is that it usually goes away when I get home each day. Madame is very understanding and helpful all the time and the rest of the family will help me with my grammar and have me re-explain when they don’t understand me rather than judge. I like that I have some space and Madame doesn’t have expectations for me. I always make time to sit and talk with her and I think our relationship is progressing nicely. I told her about my hotel problem and she called Christelle (her son’s wife) and asked her to look for hotels in Lyon for me since she lives closer and knows more about navigating the city. So I guess I will wait to book the hotel for sure until after she calls us back tomorrow.
Tonight for dinner Madame made a sort of like… quiche looking thing but it wasn’t quiche. She calls it a tarte de pou… something. She described it as a long green vegetable and by process of elimination I thought it was celery but it turned out to be leeks once we translated it. It was really good! I will ask her for the recipe. It was like pie/bread crust and then cheese and leeks. It was really good. We also had salad with olives, corn, and tomatoes. Madame told me I could pick off the tomatoes as soon as she set it down. She told me that she just put them on so that they looked nice and I could take a picture, J she knows now that I really hate them which is very nice. We had bread and cheese as per usual and Madame bought more of the cheese I like since two nights ago I finished the last one off. That is also very nice! I thanked her greatly and then she scolded herself for not remembering to cut the melon. I told her it was no problem and we could have it for dessert. It was good cantaloupe! Beebow started meow-begging when she was cutting it. She cut some up and gave it to him! And he ate it! I was shocked! She told me he ate corn earlier too but that he really likes melon. I found that really weird. After that I finished reading some of my book and accidentally read the English word chat as chat as in the French word cat without realizing it. I was like wait that sentence made no sense. I think that is again another sign that my English/French is getting worse/better. I still have my history homework but that won’t take long and I don’t have class until noon tomorrow.

After homework I Skyped Thad and then also Grandpa! I Skype chatted mom and we figured out the money/bank situation. After that I went and journaled in the living room until Madame went to bed. Tomorrow I hope I will be in a better mental space. 

Sorry there is no food pictures i cant find my ipod cord. I will add them tomorrow morning after I find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment