Sunday, September 1, 2013

La deuxieme jour

Today I woke up at three and had to use the bathroom and I felt really bad because I woke up Madame. Then I fell in and out of sleep for the rest of the time until 9 when I figured I'd better get up. Madame had breakfast set out for me and I had bread and Nutella and a kiwi and a peach ( which I learned I like fresh).  I drank a lot of water because I think I have been dehydrated. Water isn't as readily available here I have noticed or it isn't a go to beverage.
After that we went on another trip around town. This time we we t to the open market hat is apparently there everyday every time of year. It was really cool to see all of the vegetables and fruit and chickens and stuff. We walked around and bought this and that and strawberries. Se went to a bakery that Madame likes but for some reason they were closed and she seemed pretty perplexed by that.
Then we came back and went to Madame's daughters with Paul and Jean-Claude. I forgot her name... :-/ But we stayed there for a few hours. There was also a fete or party holiday thing today in Aix apparently. A lot of people were dressed in traditional provencal clothing and they rose white horses and held flowers and stuff. It was pretty cool and Madame says that it is really common to have these sort of things so most French people don't really notice anymore. We probably stayed at Laurence's for four hours. We had lunch and played with Paul. He likes Pokemon so he was showing me cards and telling me which had genders and who evolved from who. He thought a Snorlax evolved from a Phanphy? Is that true? He dressed as a cow boy, a wizard, a Jedi, and a rock star. I think he was showing off for me. They all call him Paul the Terrible because he doesn't like to listen and is always full of energy but any 7 year old boy Is like that. He starts school on Tuesday.
I talked with Jean-Claude who apparently got in an accident on his moto with Paul three months ago and he lost half his finger and sprained his wrist. I was surprised I hadn't noticed. Laurence (Madame's daughter) ((I just asked)) and I talked about her travels to Amerikesh Moracco and New York. We also talked about what I will do for a job and about unemployment and stuff. I was very glad to of had an unemployment lesson in my French class. I think I came off as in the know.

We had rose wine for lunch with them as we'll as a vegetable dish that Provence is known for that wasn't my favorite. It consisted of stewed tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and eggplant. We also had chicken roti and fries. This again followed by crackers and nuts and then fruit or strawberries, raspberries, and grapes. It was very good and I felt like I was following the conversations pretty well. Whenever I really didn't understand something Jean-Claude would say it in English.

I learned that Laurence and Jean-Claude aren't married yet but they will be he says. They just haven't gotten around to it. This is his second marriage and he has a 27 year old son. I think he was married really young because he doesn't look very old. Paul showed off his Disneyland Paris postcard and complained that he was too short for a lot of the fun rides and it was not big enough of a park. Afterwards, Paul went swimming in the blow up pool they have. I wasn't really feeling it though  it is hot here.
Then we talked to the neighbor over the wall and asked if we could come pick some of his figs. We went over we had to climb up a ladder to get to them so Jean-Claude did most of the work because be is the tallest. The neighbors are redoing the house pretty much gutting and redoing from what I can tell. Next to us was a garden that was fenced by slatted bamboo. While we were standing around there was a bunch of noise coming from behind the slat so I was trying to figure out what it was. Paul and I investigated and discovered that it was ... A tortoise! Walking around really fast and making to a of noise! It was really amusing to us and I guess it isn't common at all. He was seriously like booking it though around that garden. I wanted to steal it... But I didn't.

Then we came back and after Paul got yelled at for not flowing directions we left and went back upstairs. I took a nap for an hour and then went and got ready to leave for the open house at IAU. Paul came up right before I left and asked where I was going. He tried on all my shoes before I left and tried walking around in them. It was pretty funny.
Then Madame walked me to the university which is like literally 2 minutes away. There I meta bunch of people and we spoke ENGlISH! Which was then surprisingly hard to do because I wanted to say French words. But it was nice to learn what people's plans were and how they are doing phones. A lot of people have iPhones and then turn off the data and only use the wifi with a new SIM card. Apparently that is really the best way to go. But also Orange the same company that I got wifi from can sell you a phone for 20 € a month with free unlimited everything within the country. I think that is probably what I will do. It seems like what other people were doing. I stayed for the full hour and a half until we were kicked oh and then another 20 minutes talking in the street. Everyone is super nice like it is awesome. And there were a couple west coasters but most people are from somewhere on the east coast. There were also some students from India who study in America who are on study abroad here. That was pretty funny to hear them explain.

We talked about our hosts and issues we are having like the phones or finding our way around. We also talked about places that we want to go. Apparently I have a fall break from October 26 to nov 3? 5? Which I didn't know about but a lot of people want to travel during it. There are a lot of people who want to go to Octoberfest. I don't really know much about it other than people drink a lot of beer. So I don't have the greatest interest in going but it probably would be interesting. A lot of people want to do Paris and Italy and Morocco. But it was really cool to talk to other people. I look forward to tomorrow when our classes start.

I came home and Madame made the pasta from last night, the vegetables from lunch and cordon bleu. That's code for delicious morsel of meet and ham and cheese and other meat and delicious goodness. I finished off the last of the strawberries for dessert. Then I started writing this and we are watching a movie.
I found out that Madame works cleaning a giant house she says. She used to work at a restaurant but then she broke her wrist and it became too hard. She also watches Paul a lot she says because his parents go to work. She use to do secretarial work too. I don't think she was ever married. She says she was with a guy friend for ten years but then it didn't work out but they are still friends. Tomorrow I start classes at 9 and I think our activity is going to a bar? But I may be wrong I don't remember. I hope they give us a schedule tomorrow. But that has been my day!
Beebow

No comments:

Post a Comment