Friday, October 18, 2013

Hugs and Salsa

Today I woke up at 10 ish and took a shower. I was in the midst of cutting getting a breakfast together when Cassandra messages if I wanted to get pizza, it being almost 11. I said sure and that I would be up in a bit. I dried my hair and ate some apple sauce and banana before going to meet up with her.

When I got to the cave Patrick was there too and he invited us to go Salsa dancing tonight. I said sure I can't dance but why not try?! So that was the plan. We went and walked to dominos and discovered that they had a student special for a pizza and two drinks for 7 euros. So we decided that doing two of those would be the most cost effective. We got bacon and Hawaiian. The bacon was more like ham and chicken than anything else. I ate the Hawaiian one though. The cashier did not like us but we were like he whatever. We tried to speak French. Sorry that we aren't native but what we said was correct even if we have an accent. But oh well.

We are and talked a lot about politics which I guess was my fault because I brought up the government shut down because I didn't know if it was really over yet. We talked a lot about politics but it was nice that it never really got too heated. Which is a good thing. The pizza was almost the same as dominos back home but with more crust and less pizza sauce and cheese. But it was a bit like a taste of home.
We eventually left after about an hour and a half there and then went to the new building to chill. I tried to watch project runway on my iPod but none of the sites would let me watch it. So after grumbling I ran back (not literally) to my house to grab my laptop to torrent it. Unfortunately because it was so new I couldn't find a torrent. So that was annoying. So then I went about trying to change my proxy to a US proxy in order to watch it. It took a while for me to figure out how to do it but once I did it started working. Sort of. It would pause a lot and the graphics quality was really bad so I couldn't really see the clothes anyways which was really annoying. Finally it just stopped working so I was like screw it I'm going to google who wins. So now I know but I didn't actually get to watch it... >:-(

After that I watched one of Spencer's videos on YouTube before it was time for the wine tasting! We tried four wines again this time from the Bordeaux region. I'll put the names in later and info when I have time but to get through this post to go to sleep I will wait until I have more time.
I really liked the last one though which was a sweet white wine. It seriously tasted like honey and you could not taste ANY alcohol. It was delicious but very sugary. I liked it a lot.
After that I chose to help stick around like last time to help clean up and ended up being the washer. Last time the system was really slow and bad so I set up a new one not entirely on purpose but because no one knew what to do so I took charge. Sort of. Nobody knew where the big bowls for rinsing the glasses were so everyone was standing around. I said he might as well start while they look for them. So I took some glasses to the sink and started rinsing and putting them in a new pile. Kelan noticed and started bringing and taking the glasses and then everyone else started drying. So today I washed 120 wine glasses. By the time they found the rinsing bowls I was going faster than the bowls would of and was already almost done. So I win! It went a lot faster than the last time too.

After that I went home and IMed for a bit before going down to hang with Paul. We played connect 4 and the he showed me his marbles and then his garbage pack dudes. They are just like little monster rubber dudes that you buy in plastic garbage cans. Trash pack is what I think they are called. Paul had a double of one so he gave it to me as a souvenir. It was sweet. Also he gave me a HUG today! Whhhhaaaatttt!!!!! That's the first hug since I have been here because hugging is REALLY not a thing for the French. They kiss way more than hug ever. It was crazy. I miss hugs though. Madame gave us some strawberries and they were actually good size ones. They were very delicious. I told Madame I was planning to go out tonight and she told Laurence and they were like asking me about where and with who and all that. Unfortunately, I didn't have much to tell them since I had no clue!
We came home and had the rest(?) of the vegetable soup. It was super good again. It filled me up too. After that we had bread and cheese and I learned that Camembert cheese will get stronger once you cut into it and that cheese is why the fridge always smells weird here. The more you know! Then I went an changed to go out and put on makeup even. I used eyeliner because it looked fun and I thought I did a pretty okay job. When I was done I came out and Madame like freaked out like I was going to Prom and made me wait while she tried to take pictures with her phone. It was a bit of an experience. She kept moving it when it was trying to focus and so it kept not taking the picture. So I had to try and explain to her how to do it.

After that I went to the Rotonde and met up with a bunch of people. There were probably about 12-15 of us. A lot more people than I thought but it was fine. We set off after waiting for everyone in the direction of the place we were going. It was actually pretty far away. It would have been closer if we had taken a different rout but oh well. We got there and learned the fee to get in was 7 euros plus a euro coat check fee but it came with a free drink. We kind of said eh whatever it's for the experience.
When we got in we learned that the lessons had already started and costed money so we went downstairs where there was a big room and one f the girls who was kind of in charge of the outing taught us some basic salsa moves. It was awkward but fun and it was nice to have a big room to ourselves because at 9:45 it was still early. It was fun. Eventually we moves upstairs to get drinks. I got a planteur which I have no idea what was in it and it tasted like a cardboard box. But it was free. I still don't know if there was alcohol in it but at the price for drinks at that place I called it quits after that.

They started playing music and we all tried dancing. Key word here being tried. It was fun but also hard. I danced with a couple girls and we all danced as a group as well. After a while I was done feeling embarrassed and sat down. I decided I liked watching the dancing more than dancing it. More people started to show up and it became clear that they knew how to salsa. They were really cool to watch. The drinks were very small so no one really drank much except for this one guy who also smoked. He had two glasses of whiskey. After being there for 2 1/2 hours I was falling asleep and Cassandra and I decided to leave. Patrick offered to walk us home since he lives in the same directionish as I do. So he left with us. It was fun though some of the guy dancers asked a few of the girls to dance and they looked like they were having fun. Lasia complimented me on my eyes and said they were very pretty and the. Later Sally said the same thing! So that was pretty cool. I told Lasia that I never wear makeup and she said I did a super good job which was cool.

On the way home we hears more of is behind us and waited for another group to walk home with us. It was fun and I got walked until I was about five minutes from home and it was all populated streets to home so I was happy departing there and Patrick double checked if I needed a walk home and I said I was good. At 12 there were still lots of people on the streets.

After that I came home and changed and in the process of sneaking around dropped my iPod and I was like oooh bad move I bet I woke up Madame but she was happily snoring away. It was good. Then I wrote this and went to sleep.

Tomorrow I am going to Nimes and I have to be there at 8:15. Gross.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had fun dancing.
    Anytime you want to demonstrate your awesome dishwashing skills, my kitchen is open:)

    ReplyDelete