Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sangrada Familia or really the Sagrada Familia

Today I woke up with the rest of my room at four. They were getting ready to leave to go to the airport. Unluckily for them it started raining really hard just as they were about to leave. Sucked to be them! They had to walk like thirty minutes to the bus in the rain! I said bye to them and they told me the showers didn't have working hot water and that my shower would be ruined. They said bye to me as well and told me that they would miss me.

Once they left I aired out the room once again with cold air from outside and then closed the doors so it would be quieter and easier to sleep.  I slept until my alarm woke me up at eight. I tried to take a shower anyways and did get the hot water to work for about two minutes. It was not relaxing though to take a freezing cold shower... It was nice to have the room to myself for a bit but then it started to feel creepy the longer I stayed so I packed up my stuff, grabbed the keys, and left. I went to breakfast and ate and then decided to head out to the Sagrada Familia again to go inside.
I had thought about buying my ticket online but there was no printer to be able to print the ticket so I had to suck it up and wait in line. I took the metro which was easy enough to figure out. I had a connecting station but I was raised to be able to read a subway map having been to DC and NY. I was very thankful to know how to do that. I got there and got inline. I was probably in line for about two hours. When I finally got my ticket and got in though it was totally worth it!

It was probably the most beautiful church that I have ever been in. There were so many stained glass windows that were really colorful and light. The whole cathedral was really bright and peaceful looking with cool columns and spiky arcs and stuff. It was really cool. It was definitely the most modern church that I have been in as well. I learned the building started being built in 1880s and then the guy who designed it died in 1925 before it was finished.
Luckily he had made so many plans and models and renderings of it that they could continue to build it the way that he wanted but dang that would really suck to have a project that you knew you wouldn't be able to see the end result of it. It's like starting a dream and knowing it will happen but you won't be able to see it. I got the basilica pass which didn't let you go up in the tours because the next time to do that was three hours from when I bought my ticket so I decided to skip that. I think it just let you get a city view which I have already done. It was really cool though. Really really really beautiful and colorful. I took a bunch of pictures so I bet I have some good ones. It was well worth the time and energy that I put in to go back.
After I got done there I decided to head back to wards the harbor to maybe find the aquarium that I have heard is huge and awesome. It was already almost one though and I needed to be back at the hostel at 3:20 and the line in looked like it would take me that long. I decided against it.
I bought a hotdog from a street cart and went and sat on the harbor and looked at all the big fish who were swimming below me. It was kind of cool but because of my fear of large fish I felt like they were going to jump out and bite me so I didn't hang my feet over. They were cool to look at though. After that I went and walked around the mall a little bit and looked around. I people watched for a while and saw some cute kids playing I some trees on brick hills. There was one for boys and one for girls according to them. It was cute. I also ate a delicious ice cream cone.
I sat in the mall and when I left it was raining and everyone was trying to sell me an umbrella. I didn't buy one because I had on a rain jacket. It was a bit silly for them to ask. One guy kept following me so finally I ducked into a store so he would have to leave me alone. I hate pushy salespeople. Then in that store the guys were trying to sell me stuff again. Finally, I just got on the subway and took the short ride to the stop right by the hostel.
I got off and went in and started blogging. That's where I am now! I think the rest of my day will be uneventful as I need to sleep because I have to be up at 4:30 to catch my bus to the train tomorrow morning to Paris. I am really excited about that but my dogs have been barking so I am ready to just sit on the bus and sleep. I think I got to do some cool stuff in Barcelona and was actually glad to have this day by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment