Thursday, October 17, 2013

Life as per Usual


Alors qu’est-ce que j’ai fait aujourd’hui…

I say this every night when I start my journal. Madame likes that I write it and she thinks it is a cool idea. We have a few nightly rituals. She plays with Beebow and gets mad when he bites her and then he falls asleep on her lap. Then she falls asleep until I yawn or cough or get up and then she decides to go to bed.

Last night I watched What’s Your Number because I couldn’t sleep. Then I had a bunch of weird dreams again. Also one of the things I feel bad about here is going to the bathroom in the middle of the night because about half the time I wake up Madame because these doors are so loud. But its like I won’t be able to sleep unless I get up… But then I feel bad. I was talking about this predicament with a group of others students today and they all agreed that it is one of our biggest difficulties with living with host parents.

I woke up five minutes before my alarm and went and took a shower. It was good but showers here are never actually very good. It is a continuous cycle of water on and off so when you are doing soap you are standing there all wet in the cold because it isn’t cold enough here to turn on the heat yet. It is not a very fun experience. But I do like having clean hair sooo… it must be done! After that I made a PB&J for lunch as well as eating two kiwis and my roll for breakfast.  
I got to class early as usual and was going to sit in our classroom as also usual but then there was a clas in there, which there isn’t supposed to be. So that was awkward to walk in on. So then I sat on the stairs to wait and see if they would leave soon. Then a girl names Gina came in and we talked for a while. She offered me a tomato I kindly declined, also she offered me a doughnut thing which I gladly accepted. It was good and tasted like a sugar doughnut. She is kind of an odd duck but she is really nice. Pretty soon Cassandra came in as well and we decided to run to the store so I could buy some mandarin oranges. We did that and it passed without any problems. Gina went and pet some ladies dogs. And we all talked about our pets at home. When we got back to the school the class was still invading our room so we sat on the stairs and blocked it all. Then we would move for people. We knew we were in the way but we didn’t really care and always moved for people, so it wasn’t a big deal.

Pretty soon Patrick came in too so we all were just like chilling waiting for the class to leave. Our professor came in about 10 minutes before our class and we told him our room was invaded and he said “Cool im going to go get coffee see you later” we all were like, he doesn’t need more energy! He is a very energetic professor and really funny. I like him a lot. He is also really young but has 2 PHD’s in History and Art History. But he isn’t like flashy about it. He also knows four languages I heard. He’s cool.

We had class and he said if any of us are going to Paris for the break we need to visit the Catacombs in Paris because they are super cool and full of tons of skulls. He said he wishes his skull was in there for people to look at for a hundred years or more. The pictures of it online look pretty creepy so I think it could be fun. We have a Midterm on next Tuesday.
After that class, I moved to the next building and ate my sandwich. One of the guys in the room was like hey want some of this candy and I was like sure so I tried it. It looked like spaghetti but multicolored and it was actually pretty good. Then I started eating my PB&J and he made fun of the way that I eat the top crust then flip it over to eat the bottom crust because those are my least favorite parts of the sandwich so I eat them first. He asked why I don’t just cut them off and I said because there are starving children in Africa (which isn’t very far from here…). After that I listened to a conversation about the bar/club scene and was not sad that I haven’t been. It sounds very expensive and not like something that I would be into.

After that I went upstairs to class and told my professor I had a copy of City of Angels if he wanted to see it because it was so similar to the movie we were watching. He said he looked it up and the reviews said it was a more hollywooded rip off. I said yep but it is still good. So he had me copy it onto his jump drive (which no one knows what that is here USB, Flash drive yes but no Jump drive). We watched the end of the movie and I really didn’t like the second half like at all. But oh well. I have a one page paper to write on it which is like nothing for my midterm.
After class I went downstairs to read in the library but it was so loud I decided to forget it because I couldn’t concentrate. Then I decided that I would go try the other library in the other building. I hadn’t ever really explored it but it is actually kind of cool! There is a spiral staircase to a second floor where you can duck under an arch. The school used to be a monastery chapel so there are cool arcs and stone columns and stuff. And they kept most of them when they made it into a not church building. It is pretty cool though. But also of course people have vandalized it. But it is a pretty cool space. I found a spot on the floor to lay down out of the way and read for about an hour. It was quieter but still obnoxious. After a while I went to the cave to take a break as I knew Cassandra would be getting done with her class soon.

She came down not two minutes later when I was writing a Facebook message to Barnett. She wanted ice cream so we went to Monoprix and got some little cups of it for pretty cheap. It did not come with spoons though and the cashiers were mad at us because we broke bills instead of using coins so we didn’t want to ask if they had some. So I was resourceful and grabbed two of the plastic coffee stirring things. They were flimsy but worked surprisingly well. I only flicked ice cream all over myself one time. So that was good. We sat infront of a fountain to eat. After that I bought a slice of Pizza because my moms facebook status about pizza made me crave it.
Then I went home and read a bunch. I’m on page 190/980 so I’m about a fifth of the way done. It is exhausting but I am kind of getting the hang of it. I imagine that I will spend a lot of time tomorrow reading. But I also have a wine tasting. I want to get really far ahead as fast as possible so that a) I don’t have to worry about it over break b) I can be done with it sooner.

Madame came up and made dinner and then Paul showed up to play games before his mom finished making their dinner, and then shortly left. We had lentils and sausage. It was good I don’t mind lentils but the portion was too much for me again. Maybe I shouldn’t have eaten the pizza two hours earlier… oops. Oh well.  

Madam and I started watching Godzilla because she had never heard of it before. But of course she fell asleep. She presented me with a phone prolem I couldn’t fix of how to put her camera pictures on her SD card. I got it so that future pictures will be saved to it but not her existing pictures. She is going to ask tomorrow when she goes in to get a case for it. But it is cute how she asks me about everything for her phone. Even if it is like “Do you want this phone so save pictures from you camera to the SD card” she comes and is like is this what I want? And I explain to her the benefits and such.

I have been really thirsty today so I have been drinking lots of water which inevitably means I will have to get up in the middle of the night again… :-/ That sucks. But today was a pretty average day in the French school life. Nothing too exciting but got some work done. Tomorrow I have another wine tasting in the afternoon so that should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment