Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Allez Les Bleus!

Today I woke up and watched a bit of Netflix while I got ready for my day. Obviously I didn’t watch it in the shower though. That would have been bad…. But I watched that and then put my history paper on my jump drive. I need to buy some bread or else I am never going to finish this peanut butter, but I keep forgetting to go buy some. But I had it with my roll this morning. Then I went to school where I was a little later than my usual half hour early, so all mes amies were there already. I ran up and printed out my paper and then came back down and we talked before class. We talked a bit about Dachau and our plans to go to Marseille on Friday for the day.

Then class started like 10 minutes late because so many people were trying to print their papers. Also some people skipped. I know this because after class I saw them hanging out in the library in the other building not doing anything… Smooth. Funny how the people who complain about how the class is hard and they are graded unfairly when they are always on Facebook and skipping class… Hm. Interesting. I bet there isn’t a correlation there at all. We talked about Russia today and after making the realization that I am one month from leaving I was a bit distracted. But luckily I record all of the lectures so that is good. 
After that I went and got pasta for lunch and ate half of it and saved the other half for tomorrow. Then I went to class for Literature. I am kind of feeling like I am at a cross roads with this class. I am not even half way through this too big of book. I think it is kind of stupid that our professor chose this particular book that is 980 pages long to have us read in 8 weeks of study abroad. I think that he is expecting too much to be honest. It takes me about an hour to get through about 35 pages. And I have to read 80 pages for each class twice a week. And to be completely honest, I feel like it isn’t worth my time. And I don’t mean that the book isn’t worth reading at some point. But I really have to read it NOW?! When I am in France and I have to do that for two hours every two days instead of spending time with my host family or experiencing anything else about being abroad? That is really what I am going to do? Read this stupid book? I mean I have an A in the class and am so tempted to just either skim or spark notes it. I just am like so done with it and it is already hard enough to be motivated but then the book is pretty stale and too long. Thad brought up the point later when we skyped that he has never had a prof give him a thousand page book to be read in half a semester or a thousand page book at all. I was like oh. Me neither actually. 

I dunno. I mean I participate more than other students already and I think I would be fine. Our final will be on it but honestly I get more out of the discussions than the book every time. But it is going to come down to either read it and be miserable and whine about it all the time, or don’t and feel guilty about not even though I have pretty good justification. So I’m not sure what I am going to do… But I better decide fast because I have to read 80 pages by Thursday which leaves tomorrow to do it… Great… Opinions welcome.
So after Lit which was relatively uneventful I went with Sally to get her food and we talked and then we tried to go get me a cookie because I was feeling pretty bummed but they were out. :-( Great that really cheered me up. So then I walked across the street and got an opera cake which was like a coffee chocolate delicious thing. But it was still not a cookie. I stayed with Sally for a bit and then went home. Madame was there and we learned that Jean-Claude had invited some of his guy friends over to watch the France-Ukraine soccer match, so Laurence and Paul were going to eat with us. So then pretty soon Paul came up from school and played on my iPod. He took the case off and found my “You will travel to another country” fortune from a fortune cookie. So then I explained what it was and I guess they have never heard of fortune cookies. So I explained them. Then Paul caught me ogling at cookie dough on the internet and was like what is that? So then I explained it was cookie dough and I said I missed it because cookies here are always hard. So then Madame was like why don’t we make some! And I was like what, okay! So I found a recipe online but then was like wait this is all US measurements. So then I had to take all the cups and teaspoons and convert them to grams which was NOT easy! Liquids and powders are different and I think overall it will just be a let’s try this attempt! So that will be a fun thing to do this weekend. Lol I bet it will be a catastrophe but we will see! The butter will be hard because they don’t do butter the same way here with sticks that size so it will be harder to ballpark. But we will try!

One of the guys downstairs which I guess Madame knows came up to say hi and his dog came charging in which was a big deal because Beebow has never seen a dog so he freaked and ran and Madame got mad the dog was there so they kicked him out. But then I met the guy who then left. Madame told me about how she has a big glass table in the garage that matches all her stuff but she can’t figure out a way to get it in the house. I helped her with ideas and then asked why she moved to Aix. She said she had been living with a FIANCE. But then she moved to Aix in 2006 and then about 4 years ago moved into this apartment. Then Laurence came up and we sat down for dinner. We had some wine and then we had chicken nuggets and fries and Laurence and Madame had cordon bleu and fries. So then we ate that and Paul was Paul and didn’t want to eat. Then he went downstairs, and we talked. I told them a bit about my family and my pets and where I live. I found out that Laurence was living in our apartment and then once the bottom one opened up they got that one and Madame moved in here. But tonight was the first night that Laurence has been upstairs since Madame first moved in. Not for any reason other than that usually Madame goes downstairs. It was interesting.
Laurence started trying to pet Beebow but he was not having it because he doesn’t know her. And even though he snaps at me still sometimes he and I have come a long ways. 
Then Laurence went back downstairs and we watched the game. France won!!! Woo hoo!!!! That means now they are in Le Mondial and will go against Brazil next. So that is exciting we all thought they were going to lose. So we watched that and then I talked to Thad a bit but he had to run. He was upset because he fell walking to class and because of it his laptop screen broke :-( so that is pas bien. But it was at least good to get his take on things.

I have been a bit sad today but hopefully tomorrow will be better.

2 comments:

  1. I say, read it.

    You don't have to eat all the peanut butter. You can leave it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say, don't read it.
    And eat the stuff up!!

    ReplyDelete