Friday, November 15, 2013

Welcome to Germany!

So this morning I woke up at 9:15 and had breakfast and tidied up my room. Then I headed out in the direction of the school with a pit stop at the spa to reserve our things for the spa day when Cassidy is here. It was relatively easy with the exception of needing to remember my cell number. I finally gave up and couldn't just check the phone because I didn't bring it knowing that it wouldn't work in Germany. We are all booked and ready! Then I made my way over to the school and waited downstairs for Cassandra to come down from her class. I was feeling pretty hot because I was wearing multiple layers as I figured that Germany was going to be cold. I decided to get a water from the machine and when I went over to it there was already a euro credit on it! So i got a free water! Woohoo!
Pretty soon Cassandra came down and we decided to leave to go to the bus stop. I jokingly asked got your passport and she was like ... Oh crap! And i was like you are kidding right? And she was like no! Oh crap! So we were like well because we are in the EU do we REALLY need it? We asked the librarian on the way out the door and she said yes mostly for getting back in not going out. So we were like crap. We made our way to the rotonde towards the bus stop she knew was by her house. We decided we would never make it there and back in time to get to tyne bus stop to get to the airport in time. So we decided to get a cab. I was like okay do you know your address? And she was like uhhhh no. Ugh.
 
So we got in the car and she told me directions to her house and i told them to the driver. We got there fine and then there was some confusion on us just stopping there and then going to another ace but we got it worked out while Cassandra ran up and grabbed her passport. Then we started off towards the Bus station. We got there right after the airport bus left so we bad to wait 30 minutes for the next one. Gah the waiting was the worst! It sucks when there is nothing you can do but wait when you are in a hurry. Also needless to say "hey remember when you forgot your passport" became the running joke.
Then the bus got there and we got on for the price of 2 euros rather than 7 because we had bus cards! That was cool. We got to the airport at 12:05 and booked it to the hall of our flight. The security line was like two people long so we went through really quickly. The airport here was like super quiet and calm. It was really a kind of strange ambiance for an airport. But I kind of liked it.
We bought a can of pringles and some callissons in the airport because i had never tried them. My opinion was that they looked pretty more than they tasted good. If that makes sense. Then we got on our flight! It was kind of a smaller plane just because it was a short trip. On the plane they gave us a sandwich which was pretty good (haha sand-wich which!). They also did a beverage service and then the flight attendant got to me she stafted talking to me in German and after she was done in English i was like "do you have coke?" She smiled and was like yes diet or regular? It was kind of funny. I do look German though I am now aware so I guess I understand why I'm easily mistaken as someone who could speak it. The ride went pretty smoothly. Cassandra and I went through the flight magazines and critiqued the prices in them. Then we made all the airplane jokes from Bridesmaids (well I did) and she would laugh. Then they came on announcing our flight was selected to do customer surveys. They came around passing them out and I was like yeah sure why not. They give you a box of free gummy ladybugs! It was cool. Then pretty quickly we descended into Germany!
 
The view of Germany from the plane was pretty awesome. Lots of green grassy fields of farms and quaint little houses. It was very quiet looking. When we got to the airport we found the exit to that auto bahns (metros) and then found our way to the hotel (after getting Starbucks). We were following the directions the hotel gave us to get to the hotel but it actually took us all the way around the city and through it rather than just going down from the airport. It was kind of silly but i guess now we know! When we got off the ubahn we tried to find our way to the hotel. However it was already dark and we didn't gave a map so we used a bus stations map. We were attempting to figure it out when a younger woman was like do you guys need help? And we were like YES! She told us how to get there by going back through the station and then we went through and at the other side we were like crap kay we are lost again. Not 30 seconds later she came following us and was like I will shoe you, i missed my bus anyways! She was really nice and didn't laugh too hard when i butchered the street name we were looking for. She got us there and we said thanks before going to check in.
The hotel is nice with two twins and a bathroom with a great shower. It reminds us of a dorm room. We were starving so we left to go find some food. We walked down and found a grocery store where everything was super cheap! We bought lots of food for 10 euros. Including a 29 cent pretzel! We were happy and I found a cool little thermal jacket with finger holes in the sleeve that was only 10 euros that i liked. We came back later after finding an atm and I bought it. On our way back to the hotel we bought two Kebabs sandwiches from a place and then came back to the hotel to eat them. They were SO spicy though we had to give up. We decided to go find an atm with directions from reception and then ended up going to the restaurant connected with our hotel. It was really good once we got English menus. We were going to blindly shoot for something when the waitress came back but she could tell and was like you want some english menus and we were like Yes please! I got a baileys hot chocolate which was really delicious and also a steak lumberjack style with roast potatoes. It was really good and together with the drink was just over ten euros. What a deal! Germany is cheap!
Then we made a run to the store to get the jacket and returned home. We both took showers (aaaaaaaamazing!) and then watched some German who wants to be a millionaire before giving up on picking the hardest word to pronounce game and turned it off. The running joke now has been how badly we can butcher German names and words. I am really good at it. Good = bad. Hey at least I look the part! We have been having a good time and have been getting along really well. I am excited for our day tomorrow when we can explore a little more. So far Germany seems very relaxing and chill. I am okay with that. It reminds me a bit of home. Also the pretzel smells aren't bad either :-)

1 comment:

  1. Lost in Munich already. I feel like I'm in good company.
    I hope you have a great time and don't get lost any more.

    ReplyDelete