Saturday, November 9, 2013

Antiquity Theater to Modern Theater

I woke up at the dreadful hour of 7:30 after a weird dream in order to have breakfast and such and then be at the hotel at 8:25. I was a little late in getting out the door and had to speed walk there but then my shins were killing me. I also stalked Will half way there before hopping up beside him. I scared him. Oops!
I ended up being totally on time so I had hurried for nothing. We stood around and then got on our bus to go to St. Reimy to see the ancient civilization site of Glanum. I had studied this site in my provencal history class and knew about both the Arc and the Cenotaph. They were cool to see in person and were actually quite larger than I had thought they would be. It was cool to see them in person. We walked around and talked about them before going up the hill past one of van goghs olive tree paining locations to the actually city of Glanum. It was kind of cool to walk around in and see the old parts of really old houses. I was also super exhausted from the night before though. In fact, all day I was super tired.
 
After we visited the site and the little museum that it had we went to Arles to find lunch. They had markets today but we got there at 12:30 and they closed at one so after walking to our meeting place we kind of had to hurry to get food from the markets because they were already shutting down. I got an apple, 3 mandarin oranges and a piece of very thick crusted cheese pizza. It was pretty good pizza but my apple was kind of like grainy feeling. Sally and I walked around a bit then went to the meeting place which was a park to eat. We also girl talked for a while and then some other girls came over so we girl talked with them too. It was fun! :-)
Then we walked to the roman theater in Arles which was pretty cool. It used to be a lot bigger than it is now but it was still pretty impressive. After that we went to the arena of Arles and walked around that and up one of the medieval towers to get a view of the city. That was really pretty to see the part of the city and the rhone river. I liked it.
The. We went and walked by the place where van gogh painted the cafe in the night which was a painting I recognized so that was cool. Also St.Reimy is rumored to be the cathedral in Starry night which the mountains we were by as his background. But the cafe he painted is still there so I took a picture of it.

Then we went to the cathedral of Arles and looked at the outside of it which we had studied in class. Alternatively it was smaller in person than in the pictures that I had seen.
Then we got on the bus again and went to a museum of Antiquity stuff. It was really kind of boring as i had hit the wall. My feet hurt, I was tired, I was hungry again because the fruit hadn't kept me full for long, and I just wanted to go back home. One girl had left her wallet at a place in the village so she was kind of freaking out which I can understand. I would have been. The museum was kind of cool. They had a boat from roman times they excavated from the river that just got put on display this past week. Also some cool mosaics and sarcophagus. The stuff they had was cool but I was just so done. We finally left with a stop at the place Danielle thought she left her wallet which wasn't there and then headed home.
I listened to my iPod the whole way home because all day I had listened to these girls behind me and Sally talk about their relationships, roommates, parents, and party scene. It wouldn't have been so bad but like the more that they talked the less and less my opinion of them became. One of the girls has been in a three year relationship and she was complaining that people in the states don't buy her as many free drinks here as they do in the states. My thought was, why would you even accept free drinks from guys if you have a boyfriend... Like that isn't leading them on or anything. So then you are doing it on purpose to get free alcohol in which case I still don't like you because you should buy your own and not rely on other people to buy you stuff. Especially when you are in a relationship with bot the guy buying it for you. It made me mad. Also the way she talked about her boyfriend was like... It gave me the impression that it is really not a good relationship and she should just break up with him because she doesn't value him at all. It was just all around a really unnerving conversation to have to listen to. Sally was trying to tune them out and they asked her to turn her earphones down because they could hear them. She told them ti turn their voices down and she would. I was on the same page.
When we got home i had the house to myself so I face-booked and started blogging. I even turned on french password game show. Pretty soon Paul came up to get me and I went downstairs. I told. Madame i was thinking of going to a movie tonight with my friends because when I got home I had a facebook invite to go to dinner and the movie. I said no to dinner but said I would catch them at the movie. We had dinner and I played with Paul a bit before and then headed out.


The group was a little late there but we stood in line and got tickets and watched Gravity in 3d. Interesting movie and like it was good but like very interesting. Two actors, lots of space, no sense of direction. Interesting. I bought a small popcorn and it was like sugar popcorn but not carmel corn but like sugar. It was really good and didn't have a smell to be like regular popcorn where it always smells better than it tastes. I liked it. Also theaters here are actually built to be nice to the people who are sitting in them. They are comfy and you actually have leg room! What a concept!

After the movie I went home and went to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment